Tuesday 26 August 2008

Birmingham Art Galleries 26th August 2008.

The Ikon gallery was our first target, I'd never been before. My friend Boochild said when she's been before somedays there can be something really good on and other days it can be a bit shit to say the least. But we went with high hopes of hopefully seeing something remotely interesting. First floor (Martin Boyce- Out Of This Sun, Into This Shadow): Well this was rather odd, and going with shit to say the least was about right! The sculptures were super strange and really pointless to be honest. With deck chairs missing their fabric panels and bright yellow hose pipes, bright lights attached to wallls in odd angles. Didn't take long to get round the first floor!

Second floor (Shahzia Sikander - Intimate Ambivalence): As soon as I walked in, my words were, 'This is more like it!' Pretty graphic illustrations on the walls of Western & Eastern traditions. This whole exhibition had a very japanese feel to it.

































Above is a few examples of Shahzia Sikander's work.


Then onto Birmingham's City Art Gallery. Ok, this one is REALLY boring, unless there's a fun feature exhibition on! And guess what.. we found, an exhibition on HAIR! haha, it was pretty fun. All old hair products and imagery. And a choice of 3 wigs to try on.. this made it a bit more fun!



















Arr, that was fun! Then to top the day off we went to Habitat for a bit of a mooch, I bought this gorgeous tin, it's really pretty :) and looked at all the pretty mugs and trays. I'm going back there when I get paid! And a bit of H&M :) I'll go back there too when I get paid :) ha.

No comments: